Recently there has been an increase in the amount of “phishing” or “scam” emails. You will find these fake messages pretending to come from your bank, Google, or a credit card company. They also may pretend to be from Hunter College, CUNY email or web administration. Some of these fake messages look official and are hard to recognize, but there are some telltale signs:
- Asking for a password or other personal or secret information
- Warning about being over quota on an email account
- Asking for verification of personal information
- Containing web links which you must click to do some kind of verification
- Use of all capital letters or other non-standard text.
If you have responded to any of these fake messages, including clicking on a web link, you should immediately change your password. Hunter College passwords can be changed at the NetID central site. If you have concerns or questions about scam emails, please contact the Hunter College HelpDesk.